COURSE DATES, VENUE & COST
Oasis Center, Bunn Leisure in Selsey, West Sussex. £225 per person. The price includes all Manuals, Learning material, Assessments fees and Certificate.
Course dates: 5th 6th 7th 12th 13th May 2018. Assessment the morning of 13th May
NATIONAL POOL LIFEGUARD QUALIFICATION
The RLSS UK National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is the most awarded lifeguard qualification in the United Kingdom and Ireland that complies with the industry guidance contained within the HSE publication ‘Managing Health and Safety in Swimming Pools’ Generally, the NPLQ is a recruitment requirement for a number of jobs from Pool Lifeguard to Centre Manager. On successful completion of the course you will be fully qualified to work as a Pool Lifeguard.
The qualification is internationally recognised and is incorporated on the Qualifications Framework at Level 2. The NPLQ is valid for 2 years from the date of issue and a further 20 hours of ongoing training and competency assessment must be completed before a lifeguard can renew their qualification prior to the expiry of their existing award.
Benefits of becoming a lifeguard
We think there are loads of great reasons why you’d want to become a lifeguard and we guess you must think it’s a pretty good idea too, which is why you are here…
Reasons why we think you’d love it…
- First and foremost you are providing an amazing public service. You will without a doubt make people feel confident, happier and safer just by being on the poolside and you could potentially save a life.
- Being a lifeguard offers a fantastic foundation to a career in the leisure industry. Many senior managers began their rise to leisure stardom by lifeguarding at their local pools.
- The opportunity to get fit. Not only will you have to have a basic level of fitness to become a lifeguard but you will be encouraged to stay fit and get fitter. Many pools will give their lifeguards discounted or even free memberships.
- You get to work with a team of like minded people, so there’s plenty of opportunity to increase your social circle!
- The hours are flexible and perfect for those of you who need to fit studying into your busy days.
- If you’re a competitive type there is plenty of opportunity to show off your lifeguarding talents in annual events such as the National Pool Lifeguard Championships (team event) and the Lifeguard Triathlon.
- If you find you really enjoy lifeguarding you can take it up as a competitive sport and compete regularly for your local club.
- Lastly but still very importantly, you will gain a life skill that will come in handy for the rest of your life that could lead to enhanced career progression and a stepping stone to the National Pool Management Qualification (NPMQ).
Every candidate, prior to commencement of training for the NPLQ must:
- Be 16 years of age at the time of taking the NPLQ assessment;
- Be able to meet the following basic fitness criteria:-
- Jump / dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water.
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool
- Climb out unaided without ladder / steps and where the pool design permits
Training and assessment for the NPLQ is in three sections and all must be successfully passed to attain the NPLQ.
Section 1 – The Lifeguard and the Law, Swimming Pool Supervision
Section 2 – Intervention and Rescue and Emergency Action Plans
Section 3 – Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid
RLSS UK NPLQ Course Assessment
Assessment for the NPLQ takes place at the conclusion of a training course for a minimum of 36 hours for new candidates. It determines your knowledge and understanding of the principles of working as a pool lifeguard. The assessment will also determine your ability to apply the skills and knowledge in a work-related environment as they would apply in a swimming pool. Your ability is assessed in a range of lifeguarding skills which enable you to deal with common emergency situations in pools.
Completed assessment reports will be forwarded to IQL for processing. A carbon copy of the Assessment Report Form will be retained by the candidate as proof of successfully gaining the award. IQL will despatch, by normal post, the NPLQ certificate to the candidate’s home address.The validity period of the award is two years from the date of the assessment.
To apply for the next course please complete the application form below